Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Homemade Pasta Sauce

For those of you who don't know...I've really been trying to embrace my Italian heritage and by embrace I really mean just talking about it a lot ;). But truly, my grandmother's family came to the US from Sicily and Naples and I have been dying to learn more about our family recipes and traditions. Problem is nobody ever wrote anything down! So I have been testing recipes from all over the place to find ones that I can adapt and hopefully turn into my own family recipes. If any of you would like to send me some of your family recipes I would absolutely LOVE that.

In my quest for great Italian recipes I came across the Tucci Cookbook written by Stanley Tucci.I've linked you to Amazon so you can buy it IMMEDIATELY. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite cookbooks, and I've loved every single recipe I've tried so far (be sure to try his meatball recipe with the sauce!). Not to mention I think he is incredible and I love him. The sauce I am including today is a modified version of his Sailor's Sauce. Nothing against the original recipe I just made some small changes to get the taste I was looking for. I still recommend buying the book. you won't be disappointed.

When making pasta, for me, the sauce makes the meal. It doesn't bother me if the noodles are too hard or too soft, but if I don't like the sauce then forget about it. I won't eat it (well...i probably still would it's hard for me to say no to food). Before my cooking days, back when I didn't understand the value of freshness, I was a lover of Prego pasta sauce...how foolish. I'm so sorry Prego, while your sauce in a jar is easy...you just pop the top and pour it in...it's also LAME and not as tasty not to mention horribly unhealthy. Making your own sauce is EASY. I feel like I say this every post, but I really do try to post recipes that are user friendly (most of the time at least).

You can't even try to tell me you can't do this recipe or it's too hard because even my college age brother accomplished this recipe for a class project.

FRESH. IS. BEST.

The second best part about making homemade pasta sauce from scratch is that you can make multiple batches at a time and freeze them or give them as a hostess gift or just eat pasta every day for a week! Anyway you look at it trying this recipe is a win win and you should go to the store after school or after work and pick up the few ingredients you need and get to cooking! 

TB's Homemade Pasta Sauce
Adapted from Stanley Tucci's Sailor Sauce
1/2 C. olive oil
6 cloves of garlic, crushed*
1/2 of an onion chopped
8 C. Cento Brand whole plum tomatoes (or San Marzano tomatoes)**
2 tsp. of fresh oregano 
1 package of fresh basil leaves, chopped or whole (i like chopped better)
Salt and Pepper to taste

 


*send the garlic through a garlic press or chop it, but then use the back of the knife to crush the garlic
**I rarely find these with the other tomatoes they are usually in a different location or just further down the aisle. They come in a yellow can.





Step 1: Find a pan large enough to hold the sauce. You really want a frying pan with tall sides, but you could use a pot if you want. Heat the olive oil over a medium high heat.

Step 2: Add the onions and olive oil to the pan and cook until fragrant and the onions have begun to soften (they will continue to soften as you cook the sauce). 

Step 3: Add the tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN THEM!). You'll need to crush them. I recommend using your hands, but beware if you squeeze red sauce will get on your clothes. You can also use a potato masher to break them up.

Step 4: Stir in the remaining ingredients. For the basil use as much or as little as you want, but I'd use at least 5 leaves, but it won't hurt your sauce if you add some more. For the salt and pepper..THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!...this will make or break your sauce. Too little the sauce can be bland too much and you feel like you cooked with salt water. Add some let the sauce simmer taste and add some more. Continue this until you've reached the taste you want. 

Step 5: Let the pasta simmer until it reaches your desired consistency. It should thicken as you go. I personally just let it sit on the stove until I'm done making the rest of dinner, but you should start checking on it after about 20 minutes.

As always if you have any questions about the recipe feel free to ask! I hope you like it. You can thank Mr. Tucci for the base recipe by buying his cookbook :) 

Happy Eating! Xoxo Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment